“Health promotion by micro-nutrient fortified rice in Cambodia” Project
- Surveyed Country
- Cambodia（Potential to expand other countries in the future）
- International Life Science Institute Japan., Taiyo Kagaku Co., Ltd., DSM Japan
- This project refers to introduce micro-nutrient fortified rice for workers in developing countries. The micro-nutrient deficiency among pregnant-beaing aged women may cause serious health problems of mothers and children, and it may lead to increase absenteeism of workers and reduce productivity.
For tackle this problem, we promote nutrition improvements through the introduction of micro-nutrient fortified rice and nutritional education in Cambodian wokplaces.
We expect to improve the knowledge of nutrition and increase nutritional status among Cambodian women’s workers. Besides, we also expect a reduction of absenteeism and an improvement of productivity. This project will be implemented with RACHA（Reproductive and Child Health Alliance）which is a NGO working for maternal and child health in Cambodia.
“Workplace Nutrition” Project
- Surveyed Country
- Indonesia（Potential to expand other countries in the future）
- Ajinomoto Co., INc., Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., FUJI OIL HOLDINGS INC., DSM Japan
- This project intends to introduce the canteen meals highly effective for improving nutrition to the factory workers in the developing and emerging countries.
In this project we promote, meals are provided in association with hygiene and nutrition education with the cooperation of local public agencies and jointly with the plant manager so that every concerned party can expect certain merits; the participating Japanese companies may expect reducing the risk and cost and increase the predictability, and the local factories can expect upgrading the employee welfare and labor productivity.
We especially set the women in the reproductive age group as the main target because recently, the importance of nutrition during the “first 1,000 days of life (from the first day of pregnancy until 2 years)” is receiving attention. However, there are also growing concerns over other problems such as obesity and lifestyle-related diseases where nutrition imbalance is one of the factors. So, we will also accept projects with broader possibilities.
Please refer the site of “Activity report: We visited Indonesia for the “Workplace nutrition” Project”.